Pages

April 25, 2010

Saving my 30 cents

In USM, no cafe gives you polystyrene if you want to take away the food that you bought. Some cafes offer you transparent container that are reusable to replace polystyrene, some others gives dark colored polystyrene-look-alike-thing but it actually made up of parts from palm tree and some others will give you some kind of oil and water resistant paper so that it can be use to wrap the food that you bought.Just like in nasi lemak case. Either ways, it do fulfill the requirement of the university to prevent the usage of not biodegradable polystyrene.

The cafe that I like to go is Solihin Cafe. But each time I want to take away the food with their transparent reusable container, they will charge me 30 cents for it. Everyday I went to the same cafe and buy foods twice a day there. I take away the food most of the time. Can you imagine my wasted spending of this container it I am to buy it every single time I took away foods from the cafe? So, the solution is....I bought my own container to buy food there. Every single time.

Giving options of wrapping materials, the plastic transparent reusable containers and "fake-polystytrene" do responsible for the fading away of the culture of bringing food containers. As I have observed, students rather spend their 30 cents each time they went to the cafe, rather than bringing their own container. The choice provided just like giving them option to "escape" from the previous tiring USM campaign of bringing your own container when buying foods in the cafeteria.(it's just tiring to wash it and to hold it all the way to the cafe..kihkihkih..) When I was in the first year, I can see many people do support this campaign. But now, I feel like I'm the only want that still doing that.(Not purposely being green,I just want to save my money:-p). Plus, sometime I feel ashamed because it just looks like I'm the only one that who is still "care" of this container thing.

In addition, the cafe that sells drinks also take advantage by charging extra 10 cents every time I took away the drinks from their cafe. It just a plastic? They really can earn a lot from this plastic-selling thing. Whereas, some other cafes provide cup-like drinks container for this purpose. But of course it costs more than the plastic.

As a conclusion, let's bring our container to the cafe and also let's bring bags to Ushoppe and Supermarkets in Penang (Monday to Wednesday) or else, they will charge extra for containers and also the plastic bags!!

A money-saving tips from Ikin, the nonsense talker.

No comments: