Pages

November 13, 2009

Semenanjungian language

Is there really a word semenanjungian?Anyway, I have a story to tell..

Few days ago,on last Wednesday to be exact, I'm on way back to my hostel after spending more about 6 hours at the library.Then, someone that look like a chinese student asked me a question when I'm still walking."Berapa lama dah belajar di USM?" I stop walking and give an answer to his question. He continue asking me whether I'm interested to participate in his survey, I said yes. (I know how it feels when someone don't want to answer my questionnaires during my research.Huhuhuhu...It really feels BAD!)

He asked me to write my name and phone number on a questionnaire (I thought that it will be a private one).I just write and sitting at the chair at the DK foyer.He started asking questions and waiting for my answers.Then, he started writing it on the questionnaire. The questionnaire is really long, no wonder he do all the writing instead of letting me answering it by myself.

The survey is about the comparison between the three major of mobile phone network suppliers, digi , celcom and maxis.

During the asking and answering session, he asked me.." Awak asal mana?".I answered "Sabah".He replied,"Patutlah..dapat dengar sabahnya..saya pun dari Sabah jugak.cakap Sabah jak la kita ya..".Then, he continue asking me questions with the more familiar language.I feel a little embarrass for not using my sabahan language when first meeting him. But, I have my own reason for that.

Like what me and my bf have discussed, that the semenanjungian language will be a necessity sometimes. Especially if you don't want people two ask you the same question TWICE or even THRICE. The language also make people more comfortable talking to you as they don't need to put a real effort to really understand what we are trying to say.And no!!It is not for showing off or to not admit myself as Sabahan.

The pen got yellow highlighter at its back

Back to the story, after all the questions have been answered, he gave me a pen as an appreciation for my cooperation. Only then I knew that he is not a student. But he is actually a worker from a research and consulting agency. As the pen stated "CARDAS RESARCH AND CONSULTING SDN. BHD.".The last word that he said to me when I'm leaving is "Terima kasih.......orang sabah".

1 comment:

Adzlan said...

kawe kelate..
sia sabah..
haha..