Pages

May 11, 2010

The mystery behind this creepy-looking lizard

I have been back in Tawau for about 1 week now. The hot "kedai kopi" story here that really HOT right now is about a reptile called tokek(what the local call it) @gecko lizard.It looks like a house lizard but have unique red spots on its body.They claim that this lizard could be sold to hundred thousand ringgit and even millions because somebody said that its blood can use as medicine to treat AIDS ( I don't really know whether it's true or not, but local newspaper does state about this, Kosmo, Berita Harian and etc).The local claims that it is called tokek because it emits sound something like "tok......kekkk".The famous sound in my place right now. They made it sound so funny.Haha..

Rumors said that it must be sold alive, otherwise it will not have any value. The reptile must weigh 3 ounces or above in order for it to have the value. My dad said that some of his friend is rearing the small tokek, feed them until they grow up to required weight.

Personally I never saw one. But my parents have seen it. My father doubt at its value because no one can afford to buy it and who is going to process the blood anyway. Hmmmm....I don't know.. But I believe that many people is hunting for it right now. This species is never going to be safe in my area right now.Haha..

Few days back, Kosmo reported that someone in Kalabakan caught a 64kg of this lizard in the jungle. But the next day, an animal expert stated that gecko lizard can't reach such weight. It is just like house lizard which is just light and small.

Gecko lizard

Picture of 64kg gecko lizard that the animal expert claim to be fake (photoshop edit to increase the size of the lizard). Does it look fake to you?

Everyone in  my state show their interest in this lizard. Everyone just want to be rich. I just interested to know what is actually in this lizard blood that can interfere with the spreading of HIV virus within the cells in human body. What is the chemical structure and mechanism of action of the content of tokek blood anyway? Don't you?Fellow pharmacy students??hehehe...

No comments: